In 2018, Scotland sold £680 million worth of exports to Sweden. This is 2.0% of Scotland’s total international exports. Scottish exports to Sweden have decreased by 2.3% since 2013, a decrease of £15 million
The benefits of selling to Sweden
The World Bank rates Sweden as the 10th easiest country in the world to do business with.
Sweden’s a good place to export to because it:
- has a strong economy
- has a highly educated and skilled workforce
It’s also a good place for Scottish businesses to export to because:
- English is spoken in business there
- it has a high standard of living, so people have money to spend
- it has a good business culture
What we could sell more of
In Sweden, the key sectors where Scotland could sell more are:
- computer and information technology (IT) services
- financial services
- the manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products
- machinery and equipment
- business support services
- transport equipment
Top opportunities in Sweden
- Financial and business services
- Life sciences
Help with exporting in Sweden
Scottish Development International offices
Scottish Development International can help businesses exporting to Sweden from their offices in:
They have 5 members of staff who are focussed on:
- science and technology
- industries that produce consumer goods
The GlobalScot network has one expert in Sweden covering the construction sector.
We’re going to expand the GlobalScot network in Sweden.
Department for International Trade
You can contact the Department for International Trade team in Sweden to find opportunities for doing business there.
British Swedish Chamber of Commerce
The British Swedish Chamber of Commerce can offer members:
- business support
They have an office in Stockholm.
You can find more help with exporting.
You can also find more information on exporting to Sweden in A Trading Nation.