In 2018, Scotland sold £590 million worth of exports to Canada. This is 1.7% of Scotland’s total international exports. Scottish exports to Canada have increased by 31.3% since 2013, an increase of £140 million.
The benefits of selling to Canada
The World Bank rates Canada as the 23rd easiest country in the world to do business with.
Canada’s a good place to export to because it has a:
- strong economy
- highly educated workforce
It’s also a good place for Scottish businesses to export to because:
- Canada is a bilingual country where English is one the 2 languages spoken
- it has similar laws and regulations as the UK
- it has a high standard of living, so people have money to spend
What we could sell more of
In Canada, the key sectors where Scotland could sell more are:
- mining support and services
- computer and information technology (IT) services
- the manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products
- machinery and equipment
- chemical sciences
Top opportunities in Canada
- Engineering and advanced manufacturing
- Food and drink
- Financial and business services
- Chemical sciences
- Life sciences
Help with exporting in Canada
Scottish Development International offices
- technology industries
- food and drink sectors
The Scottish Government has offices in Ottawa. They work to promote Scotland in Canada.
The Scottish Government also have an engagement strategy for Canada.
The GlobalScot network has 23 experts in Canada covering:
- financial services
We’re going to expand the GlobalScot network in Canada.
Department for International Trade
You can contact the Department for International Trade team in Canada to find opportunities for doing business there.
British Canadian Chamber of Trade and Commerce
The British Canadian Chamber of Trade and Commerce can offer members:
- business support
They have an office in Toronto.
You can find more help with exporting.
You can also find more information on exporting to Canada in A Trading Nation.