In 2018, Scotland sold £2,990 million worth of exports to France. This is 8.8% of Scotland’s total international exports. Scottish exports to France have increased by 58.3% since 2013 an increase of £1,100 million.
The benefits of selling to France
The World Bank rates France as the 32nd easiest country in the world to do business with.
France’s a good place to export to because it:
- has well defined and established laws
- does not have a lot of regulations which can cause barriers for trade
It's also a good place for Scottish businesses to export to because:
- it has a high standard of living and people have money to spend
- it’s close to Scotland
- they make, buy and sell lots of different things
What we could sell more of
In France, the key sectors where Scotland could sell more are:
- chemical sciences
- metal manufacturing
- transport equipment
Top opportunities in France
- Technology, digital and media
- Financial and business services
- Chemical sciences
- Life sciences
- Food and drink
- Engineering and advanced manufacturing
Help with exporting in France
Scottish Development International offices
Scottish Development International have an office in Paris. They have 4 members of staff focussed on:
- science and technology
- industries that produce consumer goods
Innovation and Investment Hub
The Scottish Government have an office in Paris. The Innovation and Investment Hub can help businesses:
- with trade missions
- with investment projects that create jobs in Scotland
- work with research, education and cultural institutions
- find opportunities to develop new products and services in France
The GlobalScot network has 13 experts in France covering:
- financial and business services
- food and drink
- life sciences
We’re going to expand the GlobalScot network in France.
Department for International Trade
You can contact the Department for International Trade in France to find opportunities for doing business there.
Franco-British Chamber of Commerce & Industry
The Franco-British Chamber of Commerce & Industry helps its members to work with other businesses in France and Britain. It has a network of public and private partners.
They have an office in Paris and groups in:
- Toulouse et Midi-Pyrénées
You can find more help with exporting.
You can also find more information on exporting to France in A Trading Nation.