In 2018, Scotland sold £635 million worth of exports to China. This is 1.9% of Scotland’s total international exports. Scottish exports to China have increased by 8.7% since 2013, an increase of £50 million.
The benefits of selling to China
The World Bank rates China as the 31st easiest country in the world to do business with.
China’s a good place to export to because it has:
- a huge, growing number of people and businesses
- a stable economy
It’s also a good place for Scottish businesses to export to because:
- UK brands have a positive reputation there
- it will be the world’s biggest buyer of luxury goods in 2020
- it has the largest population in the world
- an increasing number of people and businesses are buying more
What we could sell more of
A Trading Nation uses evidence to work out what Scotland could sell more of.
In China, the key sectors where Scotland could sell more are:
- machinery and equipment
- manufacture of computer, electronic and optical equipment
- chemical sciences
Top opportunities in China
- Life sciences
- Engineering and advanced manufacturing
- Food and drink
- Chemical sciences
- Technology, digital and media
Help with exporting in China
Scottish Development International offices
Scottish Development International have offices in:
They have 8 members of staff who are focussed on:
- who produce consumer goods
- science and technology
The GlobalScot network has 11 experts in China covering:
We’re going to expand the GlobalScot network in China.
Scottish Affairs Office
The Scottish Government has a Scottish Affairs Office in Beijing. This promotes Scotland in China.
You can find out more on gov.scot.
Department for International Trade
You can contact the Department for International Trade team in China to find opportunities for doing business there.
Chamber of Commerce
The British Chamber of Commerce in China can offer members:
- business support
They have an office in Beijing.
You can find more help with exporting.
You can also find more information on exporting to China in A Trading Nation.