In 2017, Scotland sold £5.5 billion worth of exports to the United States of America (USA). This is 17.1% of Scotland’s total international exports. Between 2013 and 2017, Scottish exports to the USA increased by an average of 4.6% each year.
The benefits of selling to the USA
The World Bank rates the USA as the 8th easiest country in the world to do business with.
The USA’s a good place to export to because it:
- has well defined and established laws
- does not have a lot of regulations which can cause barriers for trade
- has few language barriers
It’s also a good place for Scottish businesses to export to because:
- it has a stable, large economy
- UK brands have a good reputation there
- English is the first language
What we could sell more of
In the USA, the key sectors where Scotland could sell more are:
- chemical sciences
- manufacturing of computer, electronic and optical products
- computer programming
Top opportunities in the United States of America
- Technology, digital and media
- Life sciences
- Engineering and advanced manufacturing
- Food and drink
- Financial and business services
- Chemical sciences
Help with exporting in the USA
Scottish Development International offices
Scottish Development International have offices in:
They have 5 members of staff focussed on:
- industries that produce consumer goods
- science and technology
Scottish Affairs Office
The Scottish Government has an office in Washington DC. They work to promote Scotland in the USA and Canada.
The Scottish Government also have an engagement strategy for the USA.
The GlobalScot network has 198 experts in the USA, covering a variety of business sectors.
We're going to expand the GlobalScot network in the USA.
Department for International Trade
You can contact the Department for International Trade team in the USA to find opportunities for doing business there.
British-American Business Council
The British-American Business Council is a large network of businesses based throughout the USA and Britain. It gives members advice and introductions in America.
You can find more help with exporting.
You can also find more information on exporting to the USA in A Trading Nation.